On July 10th, 2017, at 11:59am, I will enter my 18th year on this earth.
I’ve learned a lot in the long yet short 18 years I’ve been alive. 1. You can’t always fix things, and that’s okay. I’m not superhuman. If something is meant to break, it will break, and if it’s meant to be fixed, it will be.
2. There is a time and place for everything, and everything is meant to be. It’s your job to determine when it’s appropriate to laugh, cry, or do nothing at all. Everything in the universe has a place and a reason for its existence.
3. It’s not a bad thing to be sensitive, it’s just a part of who you are.
4. We are sexual beings, and that’s okay.
5. Cherish your loved ones. As you’ve learned from this year, they’re not here forever. Visit them, hug them, hold their hand, listen to their stories, ask them all the questions you want before it is too late.
6. My gender does not limit me. I am a woman, a strong, powerful, sensitive, empathetic, graceful being. Inam no less powerful than a man because of my genitals, and there is no “right way” to be a woman or a man.
7. There’s a song for every emotion and thought you have, but no one captures it quite like Lorde.
8. Take a journal everywhere, you’ll never know what will inspire you to create something magical. If you don’t have a journal, use the notes in your phone.
9. Always be creating. even if it’s small, it always feels good to make something.
10. Don’t feel bad for sharing the same interests as a lot of other people, and don’t feel bad for sharing different interests as other people. if you enjoy it, that’s all that matters.
11. Stop worrying about the future so much. of course it’s important, but it probably won’t be as scary as you think it will be. Just take a deep breath, and take it day by day.
12. The town you grew up in is not the whole world, it is only a minuscule fraction of it. What’s beyond is more beautiful and exhilarating than you think.
13. People aren’t as horrible as you think they are. Open up your heart, and see the beauty in the way humans are conditioned to help, love, and care for each other.
14. Your soul is the most important thing about you, and you must nurture it.
15. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind and stand up for what you believe in. If you know someone is doing wrong, tell them.
16. My walk with myself and God is my own personal journey, and no one has power over it, but me.
17. Liking boys and girls is okay. gender shouldn’t dictate who i’m allowed to love. If I fall in love with someone, I’ll fall in love with their soul, not their gender.
18. Stop restricting yourself because others are watching, and you’re scared they won’t like you. There are going to be people around you your whole life, and they’ll always be observing, and if they don’t like you, that’s okay. Just continue to be yourself.